5 Steps to Getting Rid of a Pimple
posted on June 29, 2016 | by Amanda Holstein
I can’t believe I’m 28 and still get pimples. Didn’t you think your skin would magically become smooth and perfect when you hit your twenties, or was that just me? While I’ve certainly improved on my skincare routine as I’ve grown up, I’m realizing I may always be dealing with pimples to some degree. So rather than deny it, I’ve decided to come up with a system for treating my pimples that gets rid of them as quickly as possible. Here’s how!
1. Start with a consistent skincare routine
Before you do anything, it’s important that you find a consistent skincare routine that works for you. One that doesn’t cause excessive breakouts or irritate your skin. Once you find that magic formula (that may not give you perfect skin, but at least keeps it balanced), then you’ve got a solid base to work off of.
2. Look out for a red spot
I’ve noticed that before I got a pimple, a small red spot will begin to form on my skin. I think it’s important to look out for signs like this that tell you when a pimple is coming so you can start treating it right away.
3. Apply pimple cream every morning & night
Even before the pimple shows up, apply pimple cream to the spot every morning and night. Apply it right after you wash your face so that the ingredients permeate directly into the skin. I recommend trying a few different creams to figure out what main ingredient (salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide) works best for you. I’m a fan of ZAPZYT Acne Treatment Gel because it’s made up of 10% benzoyl peroxide so it’s super strong and perfect for on-the-spot treatments. Once you apply your cream, follow with your regular skincare routine.
And a special treat for you! The first five people to comment on this post with your acne experience will receive one of each full size ZAPZYT product! (Giveaway ends in 1 week and is open to U.S. residents only.)
4. Don’t touch it
You’ve heard it before, but it can’t hurt to say it again. Don’t touch it! The oil & dirt from your fingers and the picking & prodding can cause irritation that will only make it worse.
5. When you inevitably touch it…
Let’s be honest, you’ve probably already touched it. If you do, at least do it right:
- Only pop it when it’s ready. If it turns white, then it’s ready, but not all pimples turn white. So if it doesn’t, leave it alone!
- Keep it clean. If you do pop it, wash it and your hands before and after to keep the area as clean as possible. I also try to avoid applying makeup so I can let it breathe and heal.
- Applying ice to the area, after you’ve popped it, is a great way to bring down the swelling and close your pores.
- If you went a little overboard and the pimple has now turned into more of a cut, try applying straight up honey to the area. It’s anti-bacterial and hydrating properties help heal the wound and keep it clean!
Thank you to ZAPZYT for kindly sponsoring this post. All opinions are 100% honest & completely my own.